That is as in fake lasagna. I had the ricotta cheese I made over the weekend in the fridge that I needed to do something with, so I made, what we affectionally refer to as, fauxsagna – because I don’t use lasagna noodles. I have about 3/4 c of the ricotta left to use in another dish.
Sauce $2.00 (left over from another night’s dinner)
Wacky mac noodles (free)
Ricotta cheese $2.66
1 egg $0.10
Mozzarella cheese $0.50
Colby Jack cheese $0.50
Frozen vegetebles $0.60
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Cook your noodles just until almost done. Layer half of them in a baking dish – I used a 12×12 square dish.
3. Mix the ricotta with one egg, salt, pepper and colby jack cheese. Spread over noodles. Top with half the sauce.
4. Spread remaining noodles over cheese/sauce and add rest of sauce.
5. Top with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
6. Cover and bake for about 30 minutes until hot and bubbly. Remove cover and let bake for another 5 min or until cheese is slightly browned – if you want it browned.
7. Let rest for about 5 minutes before serving it.
I’ll round it up to $7.00 so I can take into account the few shakes of Parmesan cheese. I got 7 hearty servings out of this, so it breaks it down to $1.00 per serving. Will has lunch for tomorrow and we have enough left over for another meal.
Now, how the ricotta tasted. I liked it a lot. It was very creamy and held up nicely when I baked it. I am planning on making a calzone or something with the rest of it one night, so we’ll see how it does in another dish. Even though it took a while to make, I will definitely be doing it again! Might even try mixing in the herbs for bruschetta!