Per Marlee’s request, here are two recipes for Lasagna Roll Ups. The first takes a bit more time, but is soooo yummy (sans mushrooms and spinach…we aren’t mushroom or spinach eaters)
From Cooking Light. Serves 4 (2 rolls each)
8 uncooked lasagna noodles (I use Ronzoni Healthy Harvest pasta)
4 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms
1 (6-ounce) package fresh baby spinach (we don’t use spinach so I sub 1/2 lb. ground beef)
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
1/4 cup minced fresh basil, divided
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (7-ounce) bottle roasted red bell peppers, undrained
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
To prepare lasagna, cook noodles according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain and rinse under cold water. Drain.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, mushrooms, spinach, and 3 garlic cloves; sauté 5 minutes or until onion and mushrooms are tender. Remove from heat, and stir in cheeses, 2 tablespoons basil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper.
To prepare sauce, place vinegar and remaining ingredients in a blender; process until smooth.
Place cooked noodles on flat surface; spread 1/4 cup cheese mixture over each noodle. Roll up noodles, jelly-roll fashion, starting with short side. Place the rolls, seam sides down, bake covered at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons basil. Let rest 5-10 minutes before serving.
Easy Peasy Version (from Ronzoni website, modfied for roll ups)
Serves 4 (2 rolls each)
1lb ground beef (I use about 1/2 lb)
3 cups (26 oz jar) spaghetti sauce
1 1/2 cups water
1 3/4 cups (15 oz container) ricotta cheese
2 cups (8 oz) shredded mozzarella or Monterrey Jack cheese, divided
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
8 pieces lasagna noodles
1. In pot, bring slightly salted water to a boil and cook 8 noodles per package directions. Drain and set aside, in a single layer, on waxed paper or aluminum foil to keep from sticking together.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3. In 3-quart saucepan over medium-high heat, brown meat; drain.
4. Add spaghetti sauce and water; simmer about 10 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, in medium bowl, stir together ricotta cheese, one-half mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, eggs, parsley, salt and pepper.
6. Pour about 1 cup sauce on bottom of an 8×8-inch baking dish.
7. Divide cheese mixture into 8 sections and spread along length of noodle. I like to put some additional sauce in my roll up so I take 1 cup of the remaining sauce and spoon it down the center of each roll.
8. Roll up and place seam side down in baking dish.
9. Cover rolls with remaining sauce and prinkle with mozzarella cheese.
10. Cover with foil. Bake 30 minutes.
11. Remove foil; bake additional 10 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.