I’m here. I’ve gotten a couple of emails asking was everything okay. It is and I’ve actually started a post but it hasn’t made it past drafts yet. Soon. We took our vacation to visit Will’s family a couple of weeks ago and I’m still catching up from being gone. It’s funny how no one took care of the extra laundry while I was away. Note to self: Invisible help isn’t any good.
So, since I’m behind in blogging and ’tis the season, I’ll post answers to the quiz Shannon sent me.
1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?? No nog…it creeps me out so hot chocolate it would be.
2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Under the tree.
3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? This year colored – the big, retro kind we all had as kids. I usually have mini white lights but loved these when I saw them on my bro and SIL’s tree. They are super neato because they don’t get hot like regular C9 bulbs do. They have a mini light in them with a bright colored shell. On our 7-1/2′ tree I would normally use about 10 strands (maybe more) of miniature lights but with these bad boys, only three.
4. Do you hang mistletoe? No.
5. When do you put your decorations up? Normally Thanksgiving but I managed to get behind. Tree went up this past Saturday. Has all lights and most ornaments.
5. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? My mom’s collard greens, potato salad and sweet potato pudding. (looking forward to them, mom!)
7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child? Not sure I have one.
8. When and how did you learn there was no Santa? We go on “You stop believin’, you stop receivin'” around the L household. I dare Will to tell me he doesn’t believe. But, to answer the question, I was about 8 or 9. That was the year Santa wrapped his presents in the same wrapping paper my mom used. Hmmm. There wasn’t much said about it at all – it just kind of passed.
9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? It used to be that Will and I opened our new pajamas on Christmas Eve so we’d be all svelt when we made the mad dash to see what Santa left. Since my bro and sil go to her mom’s Christmas day, we’ve started doing family gifts at my mom’s on Christmas Eve. Will and I still open each other’s gifts and from his family on Christmas day.
10. Snow! Love it or Dread it? Dread it in a big way. I’m so not a snow bunny.
11. Can you ice skate? Not even a little bit.
13. Do you remember your favorite gift? No, not really. The best keeps getting better every year. I guess two of the big ones would be the gold herringbone necklace and panda coin ring I got while in high school – it was the 80’s and I was so cool . The chain turned into a knot but I still have the ring and still love it and wear it from time to time. It’s probably the only gift I still have and use.
14. What’s the most important thing about the Holidays for you? I really love shopping for our angel tree child from the Christmas Bureau and Toys for Tots. It’s so much fun and I tend to go a little crazy. Also, spending time with our families. I love watching our nieces open their gifts. The wonder and excitement is fabulous and this year we’ll be able to experience it with O.
15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? Mom’s apple walnut cake. It’s delish.
16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? We don’t really have one other than opening our pajamas on Christmas Eve. Hopefully we’ll be able to kick one into full swing with Miss O.
17. What tops your tree? This angel
18. Which do you prefer: Giving or Receiving? Giving but I like to get, too.
19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? Oh Holy Night and O Little Town of Bethlehem are two.
20. Candy Canes- love em or leave em? Leave ’em.
21. Favorite Christmas movie? A Christmas Story (“You’ll shoot youreye out, kid. Ho, Ho, Ho) and I love, love, love the marathon that begins on Christmas Eve.